23.7.12

the tanks.


In my eyes, architects Herzog and de Meuron can do no wrong, so I began to hyperventilate a bit when I found this last week. Welcome to the newest addition to the Tate Modern - The Tanks. Set in the former circular underground oil tanks for the power station which was converted to become the Tate; a new exhibition space purely dedicated to exhibiting live art, performance, installation and film [the world's only museum gallery to do so].

The Tate Modern has long been one of my favourite pieces of architecture [acknowledged by my like-minded architect friend Ginny who bought me back a packet of sugar from the Tate on her first visit!].

For me, I love the history associated with this piece of architecture, and the beautiful materiality. Articles and more images are popping up each day- explaining that upon a site visit over ten years ago the architects were inspired by the potential to create a conversation between the history of the power station and the contemporary function of art gallery.

Images by Tate Photography and Iwan Baan

0 comments:

Post a Comment