4.6.13

the bike that jen built.



Meet Penny, aka The Bike That Jen Built.

For those of you who follow me on instagram, you would have noticed that last year I built a bicycle out of two oldies; a peugeot (for which I used all of the drive train to the bike) and an old step through (the frame and crank). I've been meaning to write a post about my little bicycle for ages, but when I moved to Sydney last year I ran out of time (and she only recently has been transported up here).

Penny took months. My dad taught me heaps. I was very indecisive about the colour, and may or may not have made photoshop mock-ups of potential colour combinations. We machined new washers for the brake callipers on my grandfather's lathe; we made a custom piece to hold the back brake cable centred for the original MAFAC centrepull callipers, I spent 7 hours cleaning the rust of each wheel rim - don't even get me started on how much re-chroming all the pieces cost. For my birthday last year my grandparents spoilt me with the saddle (links below). Every single piece and part has been considered. I don't think I realised how big a job it was until I finished...All of the process photos can be seen here, under the instagram hashtag #thebikethatjenbuilt.

I should have bought Penny up to Sydney far earlier - there is something very satisfying about beating your bus to work whilst simultaneously being active and saving money on public transport! Besides,  after all the effort she deserves to be out and about (albeit heavily insured....) rather than sitting patiently under my parent's house.

Big, big, love.

SaddleBasket | Grips | Pedals

2 comments:

  1. A new - and delightful - blog discovery.
    Not to mention how much I'm loving your new bike. Congrats. It rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words! x

    ReplyDelete